EL PORTEÑO

”Porteño” is used to refer to a person who is from Buenos Aires. I got this nickname from an old milonguero who saw me dance at Club Gricel in 2010. I took it as a compliment and kept the name as my DJ alias.

In this blog I give my perspective on tango, the teaching, the music, events, DJ'ing and the codes and social behaviour of tango. Since my tango friends come from all over the world, the blog is in english.


········································································· READ - POST - COMMENT - SPREAD - VOTE - ENJOY ·········································································

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DJ disasters



I once went to a milonga that celebrated Canaro’s 120-year birthday by playing Canaro all evening. Earnestly… what a boring evening! After one enthusiastic tanda, and one more because I can never have enough of something good, my brain slowly degraded into some kind of tango-porridge. It got stiff, so did my dancing.

A few years previous to this I visited a milonga in Sydney - Australia, and the DJ played Piazzolla almost all evening and after feeling sorry for myself for quite a while I gave up and went to the bar to get drunk in good and well chilled australien white wine. 

Luckily those kinds of extreme experiments are few, unfortunately it does not have to be that extreme to have a bad influence on my mood and capability of dancing a nice tango.

Many DJs tend to label their style e.g. modern or classical. This, of course gives an idea about the music to expect from the DJ and guides the DJ in his work, but if the DJ, consciously or unconsciously, also gets stuck in a specific time period or style; rhythmical or lyrical, it glues my feet to the dance floor, and I stop dancing and talk with friends and drink wine or beer instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment